Monday, April 4, 2011

What's in your purse?

My purse is unorganized to say the very least. A variety of items are scattered along the bottom and my two most prized possessions, my debit card and drivers license, are somewhere within, but typically among the last of items I am able to find. My wallet is loaded with multiple department store credit cards, various gift cards and a ton of photographs of my little brother from high school dances as well as the array of sports he participates in. In addition, within my treasure chest, one would find, gum wrappers, useless receipts, lip-gloss, multiple tubes of chap stick, instant hand sanitizer, free perfume samples, lotions, and a bunch of other junk I could definitely do without.

The contents of my purse construct an image about me that is completely different from the person I am. Among finding my purse, one would think I am a mess and would likely think that if something of mine was to be missing; that it’s not first time that it has been lost. They would portray me as being girly, prude and probably assume that I am in debt because of the vast amount of plastic I have in my name; however, this is not true. These superficial assumptions make me laugh because, although I like to shop and take care of myself, I am a very hard working and responsible young woman with a job that can support my lifestyle. However messy or unorganized my purse may be; as long as I have my drivers license and debit card, I can make it through my day without hesitation. Making sure my purse is organized falls low on my priority list.

The person who may find my purse would be unaware that I have a great job and work full time in the healthcare industry and truly enjoy helping people. They would be unaware that I am attending community college to better myself and expand my education for my future. It would definitely be misinterpreted that I am a very organized individual who only wants to succeed, progress and be a productive member of society. Therefore, any judgments based off the objects in my purse, or anything similar in general, does not give a good representation of who I am or how I should be perceived. It is these mental assessments and assumptions of an individual, without knowing that person, that one makes up shrewd conclusions we call judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment